Monday, June 4, 2012

Chicago: Day 10

We woke up really late on Sunday. Like about 10.30 am. We decided to sleep in as we were really shacked from all the driving on Friday and all the fun we had at Six Flags the previous day.

The plan for the rest of the day was simple - lunch and then a stop at David's Bridal, before heading home. Laurie and Allyson managed to find an outlet near St Louis, at Sunset Hills. So we took a drive there directly and had lunch in the area. We discovered that the St. Louis Bread Company, where we decided to have our lunch, is linked to Panera Bread Company! The breads here are fantastic :) And I love their soups and coffee. Reminds me exactly of Cedele (just less organic).

Lunch at St Louis Bread Company, courteousy of Laurie :)
After lunch, we headed to David's Bridal. Allyson had already picked out her bridal gown and so she had intentionally organised this trip to the shop to pick out mine and Aunt Theresia's:) The colour theme for the bridesmaids dresses was Apple red. We managed to find the halter dress I wanted from the online catalogue she had emailed me previously, but unfortunately, they didn't have it in my size or Apple :( I tried on a few other designs anyway to see what options were available. These 2 were the final contenders:

The first dress I tried. The smallest was a size 2, but it was still too big for me.
 I had to grab onto it to prevent it from dropping!
The halter I wanted :)
We decided this was a more practical choice for other events as well.

In the end, I decided on the halter. As that particular outlet didn't have it in my size or the preferred colour, they had to ship one from an outlet in Kentucky to Chicago. After delivery, I would still have to bring it to a store in Chicago for alterations as the dress would be still too loose and long for me. (For the first time in my life, I actually wished that I was much bigger in size. It would be so much easier to find clothes here!) 

Once we had settled the dresses, it was time for us to say goodbye. The next time we meet would be just a few days before the wedding itself. It was going to be a beach wedding, solemnised by Allyson's minister friend, followed by a dinner reception at a condominium. I secretly prayed that I would not gain any weight so that I could still fit into a size two by the time August comes. 


We left St. Louis at about 2 p.m. On the way back, Steph suggested stopping by and exploring the City of St Louis. He had a sudden brainwave to visit all the famous landmarks in the states or cities we visit! Like Chicago's Bean and St Louis' The Arch. We exited the highway, stopped by the riverfront and took a stroll around the area. 








We also stopped by Laclede's Landing which is just a walking distance from The Arch.


Horse-drawn carriages (with prettily polished hooves) await visitors by the side of the road. 

Steph trying to capture the arch of the wall.

Meet the real Arch :)
A stunning display of man's architectural genius.

Under the Arch.
At the top of the long flight of steps lies a park.
A vast expanse of green for the residents here to enjoy:)

Directly beneath the Arch is a Visitor Centre, wherein lies the Museum of Western Expansion, chartering the adventures of Messrs Lewis and Clark in the exploration of the Western world along the Mississippi River. Found inside the museum are some great quotes and exhibits:

I love Reagan's quote. How true.


Profound.
The honorary explorer.
The people behind the building of the Arch.

There was even a ride that would take you to the top of the bridge (i think) but we had a 5-hour drive ahead :P Along the way, we stopped by Springfield (again) for some petrol and dinner. This time, it was Hooters! ;) Authentic spicy buffalo wings, a meaty mushroom swiss burger and some good ol' fried onion rings definitely hit the spot.  



Fried mozzarella cheese sticks... YUM! 

As usual, we had to pack the remainders as the portions were huge! :P By the time we reached Chicago, it was 10.00 p.m. and we were shacked.  Time to recuperate and rest! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment