Thursday, July 5, 2012

Chicago: Day 41 - 42

Today had been a good day. I'd plan to catch a movie on my own and was eager to spend the day out. I walked to Barnes and Nobles (which is about a mile from the apartment) along Webster Avenue, hung out at the Starbucks Cafe for awhile, until it was time for me to catch my show "Madagascar 3" @ Regal Cinemas next door. The good thing about watching movies here is that you don't get assigned a seat. So anyone can get a good seat... as long as you're there first :)




Then I went for dance class. I always look forward to Rey's class because his teaching style is fun. He also makes it point to test if the girl is following by doing moves different from those that he choreographs for the class. This makes dancing with him as a lead more fun, challenging and spontaneous:)

Steph fetched me after class and gave me a lift home, which was sweet of him, as he had to make a trip to the studio later again for rehearsals. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't too good. It started storming when we were at Brother Beef. To make matters worse, the waiter got my order wrong - I wanted a chilli cheese dog without fries. The dude got me an order of chilli cheese fries instead (I bet they can't believe someone wanted a dog without fries). And then Steph didn't want to eat at the place itself, since he'd only paid for a few minutes for parking. He didn't want the meal to turn into a $70 fine. So I went along with him and didn't kick up a fuss about it. However, it did get me in a grouchy mood. I'm hoping the next day will be better :P

Yesterday was Independence Day and the factory outlets were having a sale! So we took a drive out to Chicago's Premium Outlets at Aurora for a day of shopping. There are 120 outlets stores here and a foodcourt in case you get hungry. (For a list of brands and sale periods, check the website.) It was indeed a fruitful trip! Although the designs here are not the latest, you can get really good bargains here for stuff like shoes, accessories, sunglasses, watches etc. I managed to get a dry-fit top from Under Armour and a nice casual razor back top from Guess. Steph found better deals - he got a few polo tees from Perry Ellis (love the material!), a pair of red print bodshorts and grey slippers from Oakleys, as well as a pair of black leather loafers from Hugo Boss.



Foodwise, we just had to get the Mint Chocolate Chip shake from Godiva (which was absolutely divine! Not too sweet, thankfully). I also got a couple of truffles from the chocolate bar, which we ate by the beach subsequently while catching a glimpse of the 4th of July fireworks. It was quite a sight - the beach was still packed with people and the atmosphere was charged up with adults and kids alike still playing in the water, even after dark! (I would have taken a picture of the truffles, but they were kinda mushy by the time we got to the beach :P They still tasted good though!) 

What was even more memorable was the drive back from Aurora to the city. There were fireworks going off randomly to the left and right of us as we drove along the highway! These were set off by the residents from the houses located around us :)

It was really quite a sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment